Old 30-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Boris

Default Flourite Alert for other beginners 8^)

LOL... I like the Mars analogy. You're not kidding about the rinsing! You
can spend an hour on 5 lbs. of the stuff.

Perhaps some people (starting with a new tank) put it on the bottom layer
and cover it with rinsed regular (natural) gravel.

Perhaps some other folks will have some feedback on this. Maybe you can use
a diatom filter or one of those canister filters that have the special fine
filtration insert.
"Dan Norgard" wrote in message
I just added Flourite to my 29 and 10 gallon freshwater...I learned from

the
29 gallon that when Seachem says the Flourite might require rinsing you
should read it as 'flooding'. Rinsing just didn't cut it. The 29 now

looks
like Mars during a sandstorm. I did the 10g by putting the Flourite in

the
same colander and REALLY washing it...this time a very minor clouding
occurred and now, 15 minutes later, is gone.

The moral of the story is wash well, and Flourite before getting the tank
established.

A sheepish Dan, who jumped the gun.