Old 31-08-2003, 01:52 AM
Al

Default Phal problem. Help!

I received two personal emails that lead me to believe that microfungus is
the name given to the fungus organism or group of fungus organisms that
produce the symptoms you see in your first picture. One of the emails
mentioned that the symptoms shown in your first picture, third picture and
sixth picture to be those associated with mircofungus. I am guessing that
while fungus which produce rots are microfungus by this website's
definition, I think mircofungus, as the word is used here, is meant to
exclude the fungus that we typically refer to when we are talking about
'rots' and to refer to the fungus that cause a specific type of symptom. If
I get any more emails that shed more light on the subject, I'll let you
know.

If you ever had mites, the hort oil probably took care of them. Even a
small mite infestation can be easily followed by fungus, bacterial and virus
problems. They spread these pathogens and they leave lots of open wounds
that these pathogens can use to enter the plant. Physan will not destroy
any of these pathogen once they are *inside* the plant tissue. I have been
informed that it is not systemic. It can only destroy the pathogens on the
outside of the plants to stop them from getting in.

Burn you whole collection. In fact burn down your house. ...and then wash
hands with hot soapy water. You can buy a new house and start a new orchid
collection tomorrow.

"Steve" wrote in message
t...

Al wrote:
Microfungus (micromycete) - The term microfungus, meaning small fungus,

is
used for fungi in which a microscope must be used for even casual
observation of the spore-producing structures. The majority of fungi are
microfungi and their study requires experience with the use of

microscopes.

If this is the only meaning to the term and if it does not refer to a
specific fungus or group of fungus than "microfungus" means nothing
different from the term "fungus" as I generally see it used in this
newsgroup and applied to fungual infections of our plants............

Al, that's interesting.
Obviously, the term microfungus somehow came to mean something else
among some orchid growers. I wonder if it was a misunderstanding at some
point.

Steve