Old 31-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Kay Easton

Default Storage of apples

In article , Smith
writes
Moved in here last year, and there's an apple tree in the garden. This
summer it's laden with the most beautiful russets. I've just picked them,
and will give lots to family and friends, but there will still be hundreds
left. Is there any way to store them and if so, how long can they last in
storage. Will they see me through until next summer?

They need to be stored in a cool but not too dry place. Various
alternatives - wrap each apple separately in paper so if one rots it
doesn't immediately affect the rest, and store in trays; store in
plastic bags (never tried this); store one-deep in flat trays and
inspect regularly for rot (this is what I do - not necessarily the best
but it suits my lifestyle).

They won't last you through till next summer, but depending on variety
they may see you through till March. there are several different russet
varieties, ripening at different times. Egremont Russet is the one you
see in shops. Mine is Brownlees Russet, which is picked in October or
November, ripens in store and is ready to eat from december to march.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: