Old 31-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Sacha

Default Slightly OT - Rope

in article , Alison at
wrote on 30/8/03 10:51
pm:

Does anyone know where you can get thick rope to swag over a pergola?
Possibly on-line or a national chain (we're in East Scotland). The yachting
chandlery stores seem to only have very thin nylon stuff. We were hoping to
get sisal/hemp/cotton stuff. Blinkin' Groundforce seems to always be able
to get hold of what *they* want for these seaside type gardens and decking
boundaries.

You might want to have a bit of a re-think about this and go for thick chain
instead - easier to find, too and still nautical. I have done this sort of
thing twice, using rope the first time. I found that in our wet climate,
the rope went green and manky and looked disgusting within one full year.
The chain, OTOH, had no problems. We used staples to attach it to the top of
each post and swagged it from one to the other to create a sort of pillar
effect along a drive and then grew all sorts of climbers up it.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)