Old 31-08-2003, 04:02 PM
TeichFlora

Default A ? about RES Turtles in ponds

Please make sure if you have not already done so, that you have a log or a
perch that the RES turtles have a place to sun themselves. This is vital to
their health. Without the ability to sun themselves they can get serious shell
rot and other diseases. This is especially important in the areas that are not
as warm.

It is not unnatural for the RES to spend much time under water, especially in
overcast or colder days. They will hybernate through the winter underwater
totally for weeks at a time or more. Even here in zone 9 subtropical climate
(rarely freezes) they do this. Even after they get to know you, and come up
for feeding, they will stay underwater during these times.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

I have bought two medium sized RES and put them in my pond last Friday. I
havent seen them yet. There is no way to escape and the yard they wouln't be
able to leave. I read that they can stay under water for hours. Can anynone
help??

Thanks in advance,

Sacha