Old 31-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Andreas Mueller

Default Vanda in central europe

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:52:56 +0000, Kenneth Bruyninckx wrote:

Hallo Kenneth,

Thanx for Your advice.

From your reponses I gather that you grow it indoors ? Right ?
If so, do you grow it at a east, west or south facing window ? And
close to the window or a distance away from it ?

Yes, You are right. I'm growing my orchids indoors. I have some
Phalenopsis a Zygopetalum and a difficult vanda ;-) Only the Zygopetalum
and the Vanda are the difficult ones for me.

I have windows facing to the east and to south-west. I left the Vanda for
some time in the window facing east and then changed to the south-western
one, because there's more sun. Now, I'll just have to see and try out some
stronger fertilizer.

Concerning the chemicals, I assume you are talking about fertilizer.
Yes, orchids and plants in general do like a bit of food once in a
while.

So, do You only use fertilizer? No other additional plant hormones or
something like this?

We use 2 types: an NPK 10-4-7 and a 4-8-8.
Why 2 ?

Now I did look a little bit closer on the fertilizer bottles. So before
(some 3 months ago) I used a 5-5-5 fertilizer. Then I bought a new one
which is 6-3-6.

I did some chemistry studying some time ago. But I never did learn
anything about different fertilizer concentrations for plants.

What would be the maximum N-P-K concentrations recommended? It's no
problem for me to mix a 10-4-7 or say 20-10-10 fertilizer, now that I
understand to what all this relates.

So what do You think should the maximum concentration of N-P-K be?

And then to be honest all you can do is wait, talk to your plant,
threathen it with the prospect of being turned into compost if no
flowers are produced and wait some more...

Yes, I've already threatened it...;-)

Thanx a lot and greetings,

Andreas