Old 31-08-2003, 09:02 PM

Default Killing Crabgrass

In article , bestokes wrote:
So, I might as well till it up and just re-seed then. Then next spring,

Last time I tilled it took me forever to rake out the clumps of grass.
I suggest killing it first or use the plugging areator and then reseed
into the areated holes. even if you kill it first you will have the
grass clumps to contend with. More work unless of course the ground is
really compacted then you may get a better stand.

make sure I get the pre-emergent down. The advice I've received is
basically- I need to either let it die and then re-seed, kill it, wait and
then re-seed or pull-it and re-seed. I tend to keep my grass nice and long.
Usually that helps to defend against drought but seeing that's not a problem
this year, all I've done is let the crabgrass grow and continue to seed
itself.
"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
Try Roundup or Finale. Either will do a good job this time of year.
Crabgrass herbicides such as MSMA do not work well this time of year.

They
work much better when crabgrass is very young. Another note, there are

many
other types of grassy weeds that people call crabgrass but may note be.
Some are perennial, such as dalisgrass, so a nonselective like Roundup is
probably your best bet. Do not be disturbed when you see some crabgrass
coming up after killing and aerating or whatever prep method you use.
Crabgrass, and others, will continue to germinate up to frost.

--
Baine

"bestokes" wrote in message
. com...
How do you kill it? I've seen Crab Grass prevention but that doesn't

help
me now.
Thanks
Brad