Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Peter H

Default Lawn not responding to Fertilization -- Why ?

"James Nipper" wrote in message

I normally use Scott's Turfbuilder. I apply it in the spring (around

late
March) and within one week I can see my lawn greening and having more

robust
growth. However, many times when I apply it in mid-August, I can tell
NO difference in the areas where I have applied it ( I have experimented

by
skipping some areas). Of course, I always water properly, and I do have
years of experience in fertilizing, watering, etc.

This has happened to me in the past, but I can never figure it out. I put
down Scott's Turfbuilder in one specified area of my front lawn around
three weeks ago and watered it well, and I can tell absolutely NO
difference in the area fertilized. It is truly as though I did not
fertilize it. I am not having any problems such as bugs, crickets, or
anything like that.

Again, I see a tremendous response to the spring application. By the

way,
I live in Fla, could it be that the grass will not respond as well when it
is so hot ?

Any ideas ??

--James--

Florida's a long way from my own turf, but as a general rule lawns are a
cool weather thing. No grass verities grow well in all temperatures, so they
plant what will grow well for most of the growing season, which would be
spring, fall and probably even the winter in Florida.

In the heat of the summer your lawn will try to go dormant and trying to "
force " it to grow at this time can lead to diseased turf. Keep the fert for
the spring and fall.

Peter H