Old 01-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Salty Thumb

Default The most toxic town in America (Monsanto)

"Dave Gower" wrote in
:

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Appropos considering our recent discussions:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in528581.shtml

"Imagine a place so saturated with toxic, cancer-causing chemicals
that it's in the dirt people walk on, the air they breathe - even the
blood that pumps through their veins.

I presume you mean our recent discussions about Roundup. If so, then
this article is NOT "Appropos" (sic). I quote the key paragraph from
this story:

"The problem is polychlorinated byphenyls - PCBs - one of the most
pervasive and profitable industrial chemicals of 20th Century
America."

I have never heard of any PCB's in Roundup. Have you? If not, I expect
an apology to the newsgroup for a deliberate attempt to mislead.

Why? Who's misleading whom? They said it was safe back then, and they
are saying it's safe now. Why should we believe them (Monsanto)? Change
the formula a bit, make some more money, 70 years later, say "oops sorry,
we didn't know about that, here's some chump change".

What's funny is that all these health agencies still can't say if PCB's
actually (not *probably*) cause cancer or not, despite there not being
any "debate" in the blah blah scientific community and useless government
bodies:

Carpenter is also an expert on PCBs and says every national and
international health agency in the world lists PCBs as a probable human
carcinogen.

"There is evidence in humans consistent with the conclusion that they
cause cancer," says Carpenter, who adds that PCB exposure increases the
risk of almost all major diseases, including heart disease and diabetes.
"Within the objective scientific community and within the government
bodies, there is no debate at all."