Old 01-09-2003, 05:32 PM
FarmerDill

Default Squash Bug(stink bug) problem!

This year we had a great pumpkin crop and melons. However when most of the
pumpkins were orange they became covered with these small stnk bugs. And I
do mean covered! They totally covered the pumpkins! The vines wilted ,the
pumpkins got mushy and their stems fell off! We managed to save 3-4
pumpkins! Then my husband cleaned up the patch and the bugs moved to our
melons and destroyed them! We've grown these things before without this
problem. Why this year are there sooo many? And how can we control them.
Esp. for next years crop. Is there something we could spray on the ground to
destroy any eggs for next year? I live in NE Pa. and perhaps our weather
this year made it a perfect enviroment for the bugs!! Help please!!

Bonnie

These things overwinter so good sanitation helps. That means tilling down all
plant debris and sowing a cover crop in most instances. There are pesticides
available, Contact your local Ag extension agent for specific recoomendations
for your area. Or contact Penn State.