Old 01-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Grandpa

Default Compost question

I'm a first time composter & made a small 3'x4' one from old pallets.
Its maybe a foot deep now and layered sorta in grass clippings, wood
chips, a little dirt and some dry sunflower and pumpkin plants (damned
squash bugs!!!), kitchen veggie scraps etc. I've dampened it a few
times but...
So here's the question. I've covered it on top only with a piece of
solar cover from our old swimming pool to increase the heat inside. Its
worked well so far as it relates to the heat. So is this a good idea to
continue into the fall and winter, or should I uncover it and let nature
take its course? Compost bin is next to the house, direct morning sun
only, very little rain.