Old 01-09-2003, 05:42 PM
K Barrett

Default Phal problem. Help!

Yes, I've been following it in both places. I'm going to send Steve's web
page URL to Janice Uchida at the Univ of Hawaii and see what she may say
about 'microfungi'. I was thinking about Pat's comments about Benlate and
suddenly realized that most of what I know about the prophylactic use of
fungicides comes from very wet environments - like the tropics of Florida
and Hawaii. Which isn't like a back bedroom/basement in the Adironacks of
New York State. (Steve's conditions). So, I'm using this as an opportunity
to learn more.

She probably won't answer me. But hey, she may be in a good mood after the
long weekend. *G*

K Barrett
(Janice Uchida , PhD is in the plant pathology dept at U Hawaii, and does a
lot of work on Dendrobium blights which decimate the Hawaiin cut flower
industry. I saw her give a talk at the American Horticulture Association a
few years back.)

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
you did catch the similar discussion in ABPO, right?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.net...
I hope Pat replies to the group, as I have found this discussion *very*
enlightening. Thanks to Steve for bringing it up.

K Barrett
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
Well I'm curious what the "cocktail" you used was. If you don't want

reply to the NG, just reply directly to me...

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Ray,

I am in agreement with Aaron, I think Steve has a microfungus. I

was
guessing that before I even saw the pictures. I have had

microfungus
on
phals, I have cured it. But the only way I have successfully cured
microfungus is using a cocktail of chemicals. Two months ago when I
mentioned a cocktail Aaron replied with a post about not mixing

chemicals
under the risk of toxic precipitate and wrecked buffers. Not

wanting
hear this crap again, I took my discussion with Steve out of the

group.
just find it maddening that today Aaron is giving pointers to sites
promoting chemical cocktails.

Pretending that you know more then the chemical manufactures or the
directions supplied with the chemicals does a disservice to this

group.
Is
the label that comes with the chemical the "precise knowledge" we

must
know
or is there more? If we follow the label are we still going to

create
toxic
precipitate? If I am Steve, who or what do I believe?

Chemical labels includes a section on compatibility and yes you

better
read
them and follow the directions. Randomly mixing any chemicals is a

dumb
idea. But, when you take copper out of the mix, it seems that most

of
the
chemicals I commonly use are compatible. I am not making that up,

it
is
what the labels say, it is what experience has shown. Some of the

more
common cocktails are even marketed as a single product, Spectro and
Banrot
to name two.

BTW, I highly recommend Spectro which is a cocktail of 3336 and

Daconil
as
broad spectrum fungicide.

Sorry about the double post, I would blame my ISP but who would

believe
me.

From someone introduced to Griesbach's Blitz at a very young age,

Pat