Old 01-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Mittleider Method?

writes:

Putting the trellises down every bed is an interesting idea,
it would obviously give you the flexibility to trellis or
not throughout the entire garden.

This idea could be incorporated in my tire-garden by simply
running a row of trellising down the middle of each double
row of tire-planters.

Thank you for posting this. I'm afraid I might have not put the trellis
*between* the planter tubs but tried to put it over . Duh.

I tell myself that before actually implementing, I'd have realized and
done it right.g

I'm reminded of the fiberglass panels I was purchasing for the chickens'
roof. The former dog kennel used for the secure area is 11.5x6 feet.
Thinking panels were sold in 6-ft and 8-ft lengths, I went to the store to
scope them out. Panels were available in 8-ft and 12-ft lengths. Okay,
re-think. Calculate better buy at 12-ft panels cut in half to use
east/west (11.5-ft span) or use 8-ft. panels and lay them north/south
(6-ft span). *Fortunately* I had no way of hauling them that day. It was
later I realized what a really not-too-bright idea I had changed to.
Originally, my choices had been 6 or 8-foot panels to span a 12-ft length.
I was so geared in on the 6-ft idea and overlapping the panels for the
11.5-ft length, I was actually going to *cut* the 12-foot panels in half
and overlap them to span a 11.5-foot length! Geez, did I ever feel dumb;
obviously a case of not seeing the forest for the trees (or vice-versa).
My only consolation is that I realized *before* I did any cutting. I don't
even want to think about how stupid I would have felt putting those
cut-in-half panels up and overlapping them for the 11.5 foot span and
*then* realizing.

It's really important to laugh at ourselves and this tunnel-visioned
almost catastrophe has provided me much harmless laughter at myself!

Glenna