Old 01-09-2003, 06:32 PM
ldwhitley at charter dot net

Default Tree advice - Z4, clay soil

I'm in zone 4 (se minnesota) and want to plant a couple new trees out
front. We just removed a pin oak that has been strugling with the very
non-acidic clay soil for several years and I'd like something that will
tolerate the soil.

Lindens are growing along the street succesfully. In the back I have an
ash and a maple and two black pines (the soil out back seems to be a
little better than the front).

In addition to the lindens along the street, the neighbors have birches,
ashes and a sickly maple.

I was hoping to get something that would grow tall enough to shade the
front of the house (2 story). Something different from the neighbors
would also be nice.

Any suggestions?
Larry