View Single Post
  #14   Report Post  
Old 01-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Hobby Gardener

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2003
Default Online seed companys in the U.k

Quote:
Originally posted by Franz Heymann
You accessed this newsgroup via gardenbanter. Gardenbanter is a commercial website. It makes money out of advertisements. The potential advertisers judge whether or not to advertise there by the rate at which people access the site. So, to boost their standing, the site runs a gateway to uk.rec.gardening, resulting in everyone who uses them to access uk.rec.gardening registering a hit at the site. Since it is a commercial site, there is no guarantee that post intended via them is not moderated or
censured in either direction. There is also no guarantee that the whole of the activity in uk.rec.gardening is available at that site. I am also uncertain of whether there may be time delays before post to and from gardenbanter arrives at its destination.

It is much more straightforward to join uk.rec.gardening directly.
In short, you gain absolutely nothing whatsoever by participating via gardenbanter and you may possibly lose something.

Franz
I operate the GardenBanter web site and I can answer the points that you raised.

GardenBanter has never accepted any advertising and I have no plans to do so. The site is non-commercial and will stay that way. I have updated the privacy policy to state this more clearly.

With regard to moderation, I do the following:
Swear words are automatically replaced with **** (I know everyone still knows what they are, but there are a few under 14's who are registered, so I felt it prudent)
Spam is removed.
Offensive messages towards individuals are removed.
Completely OT messages are removed after 60 days (when the thread has gone dead).
These are the only reasons that an incoming post would get deleted. I do not moderate any outgoing posts.

The post timings are quite normal. I have tested across several news providers and the time taken to populate three separate news servers ranges from a few seconds to a few minutes at most.

GardenBanter is a different way to read the gardening newsgroups. I'm not stating that it is better than a newsreader, but I do believe it provides a useful service.