Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 PM
dave weil

Default Forensic Science for Rose Deaths?

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 10:33:01 -0700, Cass
wrote:

In article , dave weil
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:57:38 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

None of that changes the likely cause. Oh, and I never put bareroots
right in the ground. I lost 7 or 8 one year due to dessication from
high winds in March. Now I baby them until they are big honkin 5 gallon
plants. I can control water and drainage until they're ready to take it
on their own. If a pot isn't draining, I knock the rose out and repot
in different topsoil in a larger pot.

I had good luck with directly-planted bare root Belamis. I'll try to
post pics. More later...

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/roses

The first pic is the first flush, the second, the mounded bed right
before uncovering, and the third, the second flush from a couple of
days ago.

Nice roses. You put 3 in a wankle engine shaped bed?

Why yes I did. Great pickup (you, not the RX-7 g).

And I really like that site for posting pix. Loads fast, easy to navigate.

I do too. It used to be free, but he's finally had to start charging.
$22 a year for 100 mb. I've currently got about 160 mb online and I
haven't been limited or charged extra.

It's actually a "photographer's" site, not an on-line storage site.
Lots of great photographers have galleries there. I basically use it
in lieu of a personal web site to post photos (mostly for sharing pics
with others, not showcasing my awesome photography skills g) I also
like the fact that you can post full sized photos as well (not being
limited to a certain size like at some online photo sites). I
downsized all of my rose shots simply because I knew that I was out of
room.

These bare roots went directly in the ground the day after Memorial
Day of this year.

They obviously performed beautifully. Many people *do* put them
directly into a nice prepared prepared bed. I don't do it here because
late bareroot season here coincides with seasonal winds that last for 3
weeks with no rain right after the rainy season. Soils are still cold,
so it's hard to get roots growing in the ground. Young plants crisp up
fast under those conditions. OTOH, a pot allows the soils warm, the
roots to grow, and the rosarian to closely monitor a number of roses in
a single location.

Have you ever done the mounding thing with bare roots? I'd think this
would offer sufficient protection from wind and dryness. I've always
had great luck with this method. Having saidthat, one should do what
one is comfortable with and what works in their climate.

The frustrating thing about mounding is wondering how they're doing
under the mulch. But it's really cool when you finally uncover the
plants.

One thing I *didn't* do that I always have done in the past is cutting
the first buds. Usually with hybrid teas, you get one or two buds, but
in this case, the first flush all happened at once and I got over 30
buds on the three plants. I figured that the plant knew what it was
doing chuckle.

I'm guessing that I'm going to have one more flush before it's all
over. The downside to such massive bud growth so early is that when we
had a big rainstorm a couple of days ago, it caused weepy blooms the
next day (because there just isn't the substance to the stems yet).

Boy, I really like this plant a lot.