Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Kay Easton

Default Poplar tree - uses

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Kay Easton wrote in message news:A8yxPROoQzU$EwWd@sc
arboro.demon.co.uk...

How does the spreading of chips from your own tree differ from a
similarly thick and extensive bark chip mulch? Or would you avoid that
too?

Bargepole, absolute bargepole! Friable stuff only as far as I'm
concerned. And I also mentioned the aesthetic aspect: at least the
semi-composted bark they flog looks nice if you like that kind of
thing (which I don't, really). Raw woodchips, like when the Council
have just done some trees beside the dual carriageway, look like raw
woodchips. And birds will probably scratch it onto the paths and the
lawn in search of the invertebrates sheltering in it.

Ah, right. Now I don't bother with bark mulch under plants, but I do use
it as paths in the 'woodland' area. So at least we're both consistent
;-)

You've also raised another interesting point, that in effect anything
one says in urg can be considered as suggesting what to do in someone
else's garden. One could take the safe view, of not suggesting anything
with the slightest risk .. or of suggesting only standard practice as
expounded in reputable text books (or perhaps as expounded by the RHS) -
I'm not sure what would be regarded as 'standard practice'.

Well, we *were* making suggestions about somebody else's garden: he
asked us to. I was not only being careful, but saying why; and there's
been enough contrary opinion too. I don't mind suggesting, e.g.,
sowing Chinese cabbage seeds a month late, but it'd be very wrong if I
didn't point out that it might result in failure. People presumably
ask these questions because they don't know, and it isn't in their
books, or they just want to kick the ideas about a bit and see what
other gardeners reckon. If what I reckon agrees with the conventional
wisdom, surely you don't think that means I shouldn't bother saying
it? How do I know an enquirer *knows* the conventional wisdom?

No, absolutely. I was taking issue with the implication I picked up (it
may not be what you intended) that I *shouldn't* put forward my view
because it wasn't conventional wisdom.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: