Old 01-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Joe Zorzin

Default Hemlock Question

"Dexter Van Zile" wrote in message
Looking to speak with timberland owners and processors who deal with

hemlock
in the northeast.

I've been told it's a low value product, but I'd like to talk to
processors/landowners about the market for the product and the impact of

the
hemlock woolly adelgid on harvest/processing decisions.

Hemlock is a very low value timber in the northeast. The adelgid seems to be
spreading rapidly in the northeast but hasn't yet penetrated much in the
western most part of Mass. where I live.

If your hemlock is getting mature, you might as well have a fairly heavy
cut before it gets infected and dies on the stump. Find a local licensed
forester to advise you. You can find a list on the state's DEM web site
(google it). And, you can look for a forester is who is a member of the
Forest Steward's Guild- check foreststewardsguild.com

If you have stands other than the timber, have a forester prepare a mgt.
plan. You can apply to the Forest Stewardship Office for a "cost-share" for
the much of the cost of the plan.

Joe Zorzin
Mass. LF #261

Please contact me at