Old 01-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Pat Brennan

Default Phal problem. Help!

This is from Gordon's survey book (1988):

Day One: Cocktail of Subdue 1 tsp/5 gal and
Bayleton 25% WP (Strike) 4 tsp/5 gal
Day Two: Triforine (Funginex) 4 tsp/5 gal *****
Repeat after thirty day

At this point the spreading of the yellow pitting should stop and plant
vigor should be returning. The damaged tissue will never be repaired.

This part is based on my experience:

Keep a very close eye on the plants and at the very first signs of trouble
repeat the complete 30 therapy. I found that you would often think you had
taken care of the problem only to have it start reappearing after 4 to 6
months. I do not think I ever had to treat a plant with three reps.

*****Watch it, Triforine and Funginex were different strengths and it was
never clear in the book which product he was giving the directions for. I
always used the recommended dose on the label. Also watch Subdue, it is
available in a couple of different forms now. Follow the label and use the
above doses to check your ability to convert the X per 100 gallons on the
label to the y per 5 gallons that you need.

Gordon's book credits Griesbach, Miller, and Baker for the preliminarily
identification of microfungus and the above therapy. The book also quotes
Tom Harper as :

"Phal growers may be facing a major newly-discovered problem. This is the
yellow pitting, necrotic spotting of the leaves, preliminarily diagnosed by
John Miller and Rob Griesbach as a micro-fungus.

I have seen it in a number of collections. I have seen it infect entire
collections, resulting in the plants eventual demise or destruction by the
grower. It appears to be a problem out of control for some people. Growers
who have followed various recommendations on ridding their collections of
this problem have largely been unsuccessful. Nothing sprayed, drenched or
applied in any matter seems to make any inroads on the disease."

I remember trying everything I could find and the best result was progress
was slowed for a while. All and all the disease's progress is pretty slow
and you get to try lots of stuff. I know I had Subude and Triforine in house
and I expect I tried both alone against it. The above therapy was the only
thing I found that worked but I quit looking after I saw it working.

Of the three chemicals I know two are still available. Steve will have to
tell us if he was able to find Funginex, I do not see Triforine in my supply
catalogs any more.

Pat

"K Barrett" wrote in message
.net...
I hope Pat replies to the group, as I have found this discussion *very*
enlightening. Thanks to Steve for bringing it up.

K Barrett
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
Well I'm curious what the "cocktail" you used was. If you don't want to
reply to the NG, just reply directly to me...

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Ray,

I am in agreement with Aaron, I think Steve has a microfungus. I was
guessing that before I even saw the pictures. I have had microfungus

on
phals, I have cured it. But the only way I have successfully cured
microfungus is using a cocktail of chemicals. Two months ago when I
mentioned a cocktail Aaron replied with a post about not mixing

chemicals
under the risk of toxic precipitate and wrecked buffers. Not wanting

hear this crap again, I took my discussion with Steve out of the

group.
just find it maddening that today Aaron is giving pointers to sites
promoting chemical cocktails.

Pretending that you know more then the chemical manufactures or the
directions supplied with the chemicals does a disservice to this

group.
Is
the label that comes with the chemical the "precise knowledge" we must

know
or is there more? If we follow the label are we still going to create

toxic
precipitate? If I am Steve, who or what do I believe?

Chemical labels includes a section on compatibility and yes you better

read
them and follow the directions. Randomly mixing any chemicals is a

dumb
idea. But, when you take copper out of the mix, it seems that most of

the
chemicals I commonly use are compatible. I am not making that up, it

is
what the labels say, it is what experience has shown. Some of the

more
common cocktails are even marketed as a single product, Spectro and

Banrot
to name two.

BTW, I highly recommend Spectro which is a cocktail of 3336 and

Daconil
as
broad spectrum fungicide.

Sorry about the double post, I would blame my ISP but who would

believe
me.

From someone introduced to Griesbach's Blitz at a very young age,

Pat