Old 02-09-2003, 01:12 AM
doug houseman

Default Orchids in China - Guangdong Province

Excuse my tired body and mind...I did "Phap" should have been "Paph"
....that is what I get for not sleeping for more than 48 hours...

They are going all over asia and to Europe...Some of the major Dutch
companies have opened growing areas.

Doug

In article ,
"K Barrett" wrote:

I'm astounded.
These plants would be going where? Japan? Europe?

"doug houseman" wrote in message
K -

They are doing lots of business, there are 3 CITIES that have been built
for Taiwanese businesses to manufacture things - total population is
about 8 million people... China is taking Capital from anywhere it can
find it.

The governments are not too happy with each other, but capital is
capital and business is business. Do not equate government relations
with business relations.

The Flower World is very large it is the center of a plant production
area that covers some 100 square miles (I am converting loosely from SQ
KM).

I do not know the status of the import rules for pots vs flasks, but I
for one will just be happy to import the flasks of Chinese Phaps and
other China native species.

All the breeding stock is seems comes from a government collection, that
has been culled until only the best flowers remain for breeding. I am
lead to understand that there are over 100,000 plants in the total
collection, but only 500 have been approved as Superior for breeding.

Doug

In article gdJ4b.243047$cF.77689@rwcrnsc53,
"K Barrett" wrote:

Great report. Chen-Chun Flower World sounds huge!

I didn't know the Taiwanese and Chinese were doing business together.

Would
seem rather touch and go considering politics, unless my understanding

is
dated.

I have seen Dr Wang's pictures (Wang of Texas A&M) of Taiwanese orchid
production and it boggles the mind. Huge GH after huge GH filled to the
gills with hundreds of thousands of flasks, mostly phals for the pot

plant
trade. I know Taiwan is hungry to get Paphs into similar production

also.
Makes US production look like a joke.

There was a push to allow importation of plants in pot rather than in

flask.
I haven't seen a report on how that fared with the USDA.

K Barrett

"doug houseman" wrote in message
I just returned from a 3 week business trip to China. During the trip,

had a chance to visit the Chen-Chun Flower World in For Sung City.

SNIP