Old 02-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Roy

Default How to kill Mistletoe in Maple trees?

Riding a tree of mistletoe is a very time extensive job. Lots of
work, and then it can be back in the tree after a visit from a bird
carrying the parasite and leavng its droppings on the limb, only to
propagate again. In the south our oaks are inundated with the stuff.
Looks strange in the winter when all the leaves are off and still see
large clumps of green growth. Its a never ending battle, and unless
the tree is an isolated case its not really worth the trouble IMHO.

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:41:12 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

x-I've known folks to shoot mistletoe out of trees. It usually grows 50
x-feet or higher in the upper canopy.
x-
x-On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:49:44 -0700, Chris J......
x-wrote:
x-
x-I have a hillside behind my home containing quite a few wild maple
x-trees. Several have become infested with what looks to be mistletoe (a
x-parasitic plant).
x-
x-This is killing my trees. I've tried cutting out the mistletoe, but it
x-just comes back. Is there some sort of an herbicide that I can use to
x-kill it without killing the trees?
x-
x-The trees are located on a very steep mostly rocky mountainside,
x-in a mixed pine forest environment at around 7000ft. altitude in
x-Arizona. Any advice would be appreciated.
x-
x-Chris
x-
x-
x-For some ideas on how to help our troops, check out
x-http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82385,00.html

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com