Old 02-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Bill Ranseen

Default Can someone please explain "Propagation Rights?"

In article ,
pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

How is it possible that such a ridiculous law can be enforced country
wide in the United States?

BRBR

Probably it can't. So go ahead and propagate (plants I mean) just don't
put
the info on a billboad. It's like the opium poppy issue, in a way--I've
seen
them all over California, but they're quite legal to grow as long as you
don't
use them to make opium.

Now to chase those dragons out...
zemedelec

Au contrai you can get busted for growing Papaver somniferum, seeds
are the only part it's legal to possess. They have even cracked down on
sale of dried seed pods, which used to be sold for flower arrangements.
A lot of companies sell the seeds, a lot of people grow them for the
flowers, enforcement is very spotty, but it is illegal. Check out
Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire for a good read on this subject.