Old 02-09-2003, 08:22 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Orchid Taxonomy

Iris Cohen schreef
Visit a few of the large commercial orchid nurseries. They will

undoubtedly tell you their mass-produced greenhouse grown orchids don't have
any mycorrhiza, & even if they did, it has nothing to do with taxonomy.

+ + +
? Commercial orchid growers and orchid taxonomy are two separate realms.
+ + +

Cereoid is rude, but he may be right. You haven't even mentioned the
author's name, let alone an example.
Iris,

+ + +
I am not inclined to get into orchid politics. I don't see how a name will
benefit you if you cannot deduce it (how many leading orchid taxonomists are
there?). Experience has shown me that whenever someone plays the thirty
years card this is a reliable sign of ignorance or ossification, so I have
adjusted my response accordingly.
PvR