Old 02-09-2003, 09:12 AM
gregpresley

Default New to tulips - didn't realize they were not perrenial!

"J. Lane" wrote in message
. ..
Just reread this post and realized that I live in pretty much ideal tulip
conditions which is why all of Kamloops plants tulips in theur beds and
forget about them. They come back every year around here. Probably most of
northern US and all of Canada have the right conditions.

Jayel,
Actually, the Pacific west coast of north America, particularly east of
the cascade and coastal ranges has a very similar climate to the inland
regions of Turkey, where many tulip species are native. Like that region,
you have cold, relatively snowy winters, and dry summers. If you looked at
the climatic data for Ankara, for instance, you would find it nearly
identical to your own. As is mine, in Spokane, Washington. I'm not sure that
Canada from the Great Lakes eastward would be as great an environemnt for
tulip perennializing, because the summers are so much wetter and more
humid - but I suspect the cold winters are the most important factor.