Old 02-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Pelvis Popcan

Default Are there any GOOD places to order bulbs? (Tulips, daffodils)

If you look at these different companies on Gardenwatchdog, you see
that most of them show the exact same trends... nothing but positive
replies for one year, say 1999, and then a bunch of negatives start at
relatively the same time, mostly around 2001-2002.

I'm just speculating here... I think most of these companies import
their stocks from The Netherlands, probably from the same suppliers.
So, the quality of the stock is dependant on the quality of the
shipments from the Netherlands. I'm betting these bulbs aren't put on
a plane and overnighted. They probably come by boat, and I'll bet they
spend weeks in boxes. If they sit around in hot and humid places, they
can get soft and moldy.

Last year, I ordered 5 Decoy Daffodil bulbs from Breck's. I ordered
them in June. They arrived in September, and they were HUGE double
bulbs, very firm with great color, and they ended up growing GREAT,
with foliage that outlasted all of the other daffodils I saw planted
by neighbors. HOWEVER, after I planted these 5, I looked at the area
and thought, "You know, I could fit 10 more of them in there." So, I
went online late in September and ordered another 10 from Breck's.
They arrived in a couple of weeks, and the quality was AWFUL. The
bulbs were soft, many moldy, and most were very light, like they were
just husks and hollow inside. I planted them anyway, and not one of
these 10 grew. SO, it may have to do with WHEN YOU ORDER.

If you can find a place that raises and produces bulbs HERE in the
USA, you probably will get much better quality. ALternatively, if you
can find an importer that actually INSPECTS the product and SORTS OUT
bad bulbs, that should be good as well.

I hear vanengelen.com / johnscheepers.com (they are sister companies)
are pretty good. I looked them up on Gardenwatchdog and they are one
of the few bulb vendors with no negative comments (yet anyway).

Vicki H wrote:

I have to wonder, what are these companies thinking? How is it that
they are allowed to operate? Why doesn't a corporate officer for one
of these companies say, "Holy cow, we have to DO something about our
product quality!"

Some of the companies are, but not limited to:

Michigan Bulb
Gurney's
Breck's
Dutch Gardens