Old 02-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Jim Webster

Default GM crop farms filled with weeds

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
In sci.agriculture Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/24/03 9:13 AM, in article

,
"Brian Sandle" wrote:

Some cut.

The folks are stariving because they cannot pay the world market
prices for the food, because they do not have work. There are
surpluses of food.

The cost of the actual raw materials going into food aren't the real
problem. Transportation and packaging add more to the cost in many

cases
than the actual foodstuff. The USDA used to have an online chart

showing
how much money a farmer got compared to the consumer cost. I think

there's
about 2¢ U.S. worth of wheat in a loaf of bread, for example. I'll

try
find it if you're interested.

So it cannot be said that agriculture is the major stumbling block
in getting food to the poor.

of course not, it should be easy to screw money out of middle class tax
payers in the first world to subsidise the third world but they tend to
complain

sorry that should read to mean that of course agriculture is not the major
stumbling block
Jim Webster

Jim Webster