Old 02-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Radika

Default Forensic Science for Rose Deaths?

Theo Asir wrote:

I can explain this one. Some times the roots die but there is so much
moisture that the canes seem to be able to directly absorb it and
use there stored nutrients to keep growing.

Then it gets dry and death occurs quickly usually over night.

I have seen this very thing with three established HT in the same spring
of a year with huge rain falls (for this area) that caused untold misery
otherwise. Never could explain what happened, and this sounds like a
very plausible description of how things happened. When established
roses die in very different spots in a garden in some overnight disaster
and when you have no trouble growing another rose in the very same spot
later on, you are left totally mystified.

Theo, whether or not this was exactly what happened with my three roses,
I like this explanation as it fits all the facts of the case and with no
added complications.

Talking about rain we had an incredible 16 inches fall in my backyard
over this soggy labor day in a 36 hour period.

Heard about this. It sounds terrible.

I was driving back from Wichita in I-35 Saturday night, visibility
was 10 feet and we were stopped on the free way when the 10 ft wall
of water washed over the road 1/4 mile in front of us. It was about
about 2 ft deep where I was. You should have seen the panic, first
time I drove 50 MPH wrong way on the freeway.

YIKES. Glad to know that you and yours are safe.

Found out next morning that this poor guy in front lost his 4 kids &
wife.

Oh Lord. Saw that on the news, it was heart-rending to watch the young
fellow describe what had happened. They seemed like very decent and kind
folks, to have gone and adopted a baby from China while having three of
their own to care for, and it is really tragic that this catastrophe
happened to such generous people.