Old 02-09-2003, 07:02 PM
J. Del Col

Default Protect Tree Stumps

"dkat" wrote in message . net...
My 2 cents would vote for either the wood hardening resin or something that
is absorbed into the wood such as cooked linseed oil ......

Linseed oil isn't waterproof. I know this from experience with rifle
stocks.
It looks great, but it isn't very protective against serious moisture.

Tung oil might work, but I don't know how well it would do with year
round exposure to weather, UV from sunlight, etc.

Any stump that is still in the ground has a big problem--insects
could attack it from below.

As you say, a penetrating polyester or epoxy resin would be best.

Then there's always the petrified wood stump...

J. Del Col