Old 03-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Steve Turner

Default vinegar, mineral spirits, Herbicides??

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

I never thought vinegar was a herbicide, for it is just distilled apple
cider and if it comes from apples then it is good to put on plants.

On what do you base this logic?

Walnut trees secrete compounds (notably juglone) deadly to many other
plants.

Question arose as to whether paint-thinner or mineral spirits is a
herbicide and whether pouring it on plants would kill them?

What has this to do with vinegar?

Hydrocarbons can be effective plant killers if they are sufficiently
nonvolatile to hang around for awhile. In the past I have used old
crankcase oil to kill weeds in driveway cracks. I suspect it is not
very environmentally friendly though.

Steve Turner

Real address contains worldnet instead of spamnet