Old 03-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Default The most toxic town in America (Monsanto)

"Dave Gower" wrote in
:

wrote

1. is roundup safe?
2. probably not, it is made by Monsanto who does not put consumers
first, monsanto, you know, the people made PCBs since 1930

Most of us are not that stupid. We know that an issue from another
time, about another chemical, when the company was run by different
managers, faced different laws, was operating with different
scientific knowledge, cannot be used to answer a question about a
garden chemical sold in 2003.

When 'answers' are of dubious veracity, it common to use whatever
information is available assess the veracity of the 'answers'. To say
Monsanto is a totally different entity now is ridiculous. If anything,
they have retained all the lawyers who know exactly what loopholes in the
laws they can exploit. I suppose you think jailing a common criminal
results in the rehabilitation of the criminal, when in all likelihood, he
has just as much chance of learning new ways to break the law while in
jail.

You bunch are obviously abysmally ignorant of how corporations work
(and of course you would be if you relied on 60 Minutes for your
information). Monsanto and other primary producers do not normally
sell directly to the public. They sell to other companies;
wholesalers, manufacturers, exporters, processors. As such they are
dealing with hard-nosed and often very savvy purchasing managers and
agents. Such professionals ask tough and precise scientific questions
about the safety and other characteristics of the materials they
purchase. This is especially true of wholesalers, whose employers
directly face legal consequences for selling harmful substances.

I wonder if some of these same "hard-nosed, savvy purchasing managers" were
responsible for the introduction of anti-bacterial soap. I suppose the
industry only hires Ph.Ds in chemical engineering to manage their
purchasing departments, even it would be so much cheaper to just hire yokel
off the street who can point at a random 'scientific' journal and say,
"well that says such-and-such, so it must be true", which by the way, will
hold up in court. But, at the end of the day, the only thing that really
counts is whether are not there are any marks who will buy the product.

Another elementary bit of information. Companies cannot "lie", or
indeed make utterances of any type. Only people can do that. The fact
that you anthropomorphise an abstract legal entity in such a way shows
how infantile your delusions are. But even using your words, any
company that "lied" to professional purchasers would be dead in a
year.

Yes, I totally agree. Companies cannot "lie" any more than they can create
"products" Only people can do that. If there are any problems, the
people operating the factory machinery should be held accountable, not
Monsanto, which really doesn't even exist.

-- Salty

And, oh yeah, I did a search back to 1789(!), and no one in rec.gardens has
ever asked about the purchasing habits Monsanto's corporate customers.
hmm, off-topic or not? I hope no one goes crying to the topic police.

Try not to let the irony or sarcasm in this reply go flying over your head
this time.