Old 03-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Critical Popperian

Default Should I take the algae out of my pond

Lemme just clarify, if the algae is helping my pond water stay clear
then I definitely want it. On the other hand I don't know if I should
remove it because it's taking nutrients my other plants could use.
basically, all I want is to do what ever gives me the clearest water
since that's why I have plants in the first place.

I removed my insanely growing string algae and got a huge green water
bloom.

I was thinking, like you, that if I removed the string algae, the
higher order plants would kick in and grow faster.

Nope. Floating green algae took over.

I'm not in the process of installing a U.V. which will "force" the
higher order plants to use more nutrients to grow (or so I am thinking
).

Does anyone know a comparison of fertilizer needs between floating
algae and things like anacharis, parrot's feather, and lillies?