Old 03-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Phisherman

Default How to clean terra cotta clay pot?

On 2 Sep 2003 10:46:43 -0700, (Randy)
wrote:

Hi,

I had a rubber plant that was infested with what looked like tiny red
spider mites. It was potted in a clay pot.

I've since thrown away the plant and soil, but wonder what I need to
do to properly clean out the pot so that there are no stragglers. So
far I've just washed the pot with water, but want to make sure that
the its next resident doesn't become host to a spidery-family.

Should I be using a soapy solution? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

The proper way to clean clay pots is to soak them for a couple days,
scrub them, change the water and soak again for couple days. You can
add a tablespoon of household bleach to the water. The soaking removes
salts and helps loosen the dirt. Bake the pots in the oven for a half
hour. They can be used without fear of fungus, insects, and spider
mites. Spider mites prefer dry sunny locations and attack plants in
a west window.