Old 03-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Kay Easton

Default Laurel Trees

In article , Kev
Pearce writes
I have a row of Laurel trees at the bottom of the garden, which have
produced round black berries for the first time since I moved in 3 years
ago.

My mother-in-law has informed me that the berries are highly toxic.

With two young kids (1 and 3 years old) I am now afraid that they could do
themselves some serious harm.

Can anyone advise on how toxic the berries (and perhaps even the leaves)
are, what the signs are, and if any First Aid is recommended.

The berries and leaves (and probably other parts) are toxic - the agent
involved is basically cyanide, which is contained in many of the Prunus
(cherry stones, almonds etc). The leaves used to be used crushed in
killing jars for butterfly collection.

That said, it is unlikely to be the only toxic plants in your garden -
lily of the valley, honeysuckle AFAIK both have poisonous berries. You
are unlikely to be able to rid your garden of poisonous things.

The most important thing is to teach your children that they should eat
*nothing* from the garden without showing it to mum or dad first. To
rely on making your garden safe without teaching them plants can be
dangerous is to put your children in danger when they go into friends
gardens, public parts or the countryside.

Agreed, your one year old can't be expected to learn this reliably just
yet - but equally, you won't be letting him/her play unsupervised
outside.

In the meantime, it is very unlikely that the children will eat the
leaves of the laurel, and you can prevent it from having berries simply
by removing the flowers when they are over.

In a few years time you need not bother any more, if you have trained
your children in the dangers. I spent many happy childhood days playing
in a berry-festooned laurel tree in my parents garden, and watching the
colour changes as the berries ripened was another contribution to my
current love of plants.

I can also remember waiting for a home visit from the GP when I was in
bed with measles or something, and my mother advising me to remove my
bedside flower arrangement of woody nightshade berries in case the
doctor jumped to some wrong conclusions ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: