Old 03-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Beecrofter

Default bindweed and strawberries

(Robin Ellzey) wrote in message . com...
I created a small bed (2'x24') for strawberries. I put landscaping
fabric down and then about 4 inches of mulch. My strawberries are
coming up fine but so is the bind weed. I haven't found anything such
as Roundup that I can spray on the bindweed without killing the
strawberries. I've been extremely carefull about pulling the weeds
around the strawberries due to not wanting to damageing the
strawberries. Does anyone know of a better way or something that will
kill the bindweed, but not the strawberries.

Thanks. (FYI - Zone 5-Denver)

A whole 48 square feet? Well you probably won't like my answer but
it's the only way that will work well.

Get an old wet towel and set it up to line a box. Dig your strawberry
plants and trim them to seperate mother and daughter plantsd and set
them in the box covered with wet towel. Keep the box shaded. Take a
spading fork and turn the soil removing all the bindweed roots and
tops you can find.
Reset your srawberry plants picking the most vigorous and water them
in.
If any bindweed returns -and it will- apply roundup to it's leaves
with a sponge or foam paintbrush.