Old 03-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Myrmecodia

Default Vanilla

"Jim Schott" wrote in message ...
As many of us know, vanilla is the highly prized seed pod of the orchid
vanilla plant. I simply love the aroma of this plant and its derivative -
vanilla. My question: for a retiree, is there any place in the USA that
vanilla grows naturally - or can be induced to grow naturally.

South Florida has several native species of vanilla (e.g. V.
barbellata), and I suspect that the commercial vanilla, V. planifolia,
could be naturalized there. It should also grow well in Hawaii. If
your definition of "USA" is sufficiently broad, Puerto Rico and the US
Virgin Islands probably have right climate, too.

Nick