Old 03-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Roundup Unready

In article ,
Henry Kuska wrote:

Sorry, I cannot follow the logic of your "in other words" unless you are
trying to use a strict reading that this was done on rats so it has no
meaning for humans (I doubt that the scientists who did the research were
worried about the health of rats only, I also doubt that the reviewers and
the editor would have accepted the paper for publication if they agreed with
your "interpretation".

As you stated they said: "results shows that the commercial formulation
poses an increased potential risk for the rat skeletal system." If you
decide not to utilize the Precautionary Principle after reading this, that
is your choice.

The results showed that Roundup is toxic at levels never expected
to be encountered by humans. Virtually *all* things are toxic
at levels not expected to be encountered by humans. You never
answered my question -- do you apply "the Precautionary Principle"
and avoid all contact with water and oxygen?

The bottom line is that *everything* has risks. The question
is what that risk is. No study has shown Roundup to be
dangerous to humans when used as directed.

You like to play games with the "Precautionary Principle," eh?
Do you avoid all foods? After all, over 90% of the pesticides
you encounter are *natural* pesticides which are *demonstrated*
causes of human cancer -- in contrast to Roundup.

But since you convert any risk whatsoever to a mouse to equate
to a cause of concern at any exposure, no matter how low, to
humans, let's see what you must avoid:

anise, apples, bananas, basil, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cinnamon, cloves, cocoa,
grapefruit juice, honey-dew melons, horseradish, kale, mushrooms,
mustard, nutmeg, orange juice, parseley, parsnips, peaches,
pineapples, radishes, tarragon, and turnips. (Garfield, E. "Man-made
and natural carcinogens -- putting the risks in perspective."
Veterinary and Human Toxicology 31:589-90, 1989)

And, of course, the number of deaths attributable to the carcinogens
in coffee and tea are in the thousands. God only knows what's
in that herbal tea you are sipping.

Once you have eliminated all of these exposures, and the rest
of the real carcinogens that flood your food, then get back to me
about Roundup.

For a nice list, see:

potency.berkeley.edu/text/science.table3.html

If you really want to opine about what giving rats near-fatal
doses of stuff and extrapolating to humans, you might want
to read what Ames has to say -- you know, the "Ames test"
Ames.

Try:

Gold, Slone, Manley, and Ames "Misconceptions about the Causes
of Cancer."

potency.berkeley.edu/text/Gold_Misconceptions.pdf

Read "Misconception 6"

In fact, this should be required reading for anybody
who wants to ply the hysteria trade.

billo