Old 03-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Laurel Trees

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

I can also remember waiting for a home visit from the GP when I was in
bed with measles or something, and my mother advising me to remove my
bedside flower arrangement of woody nightshade berries in case the
doctor jumped to some wrong conclusions ;-)

I have some packs in the freezer marked 'Nightshade'.

I make nightshade tarts, nightshade pies and nightshade jam. But before
you rush out and plunder some woody nightshade vines, let me first
whisper in your ear 'black nightshade'.

The plant is about as poisonous as a tomato plant, and the green berries
are about as deadly as green tomatoes, though I've never been tempted to
make green nightshade chutney.

When the berries are ripe they are perfectly edible, and are sweetish
and refreshing. Apart from the size of the plants and their fruits, I
can see no difference between black nightshade and 'garden
huckleberries', nor taste any.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to