Old 03-09-2003, 09:43 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Losing water through capillary action

"redtag" wrote in message
I have installed a new wildlife pond, about 4m x 6m. I have banked soil
right the way into the pond as per most instructions for wildlife friendly
ponds and it all looks good.

However the way is now draining out of the pond due to capillary action

(or
wicking, as it is sometimes called). Although I have a lovely area of wet
soil all around my pond, I was hoping to keep some water inside the pond!

Any idea on how to cut down this effect?

Can I do something different with the liner to help prevent this? At the
moment I have this:

*****************soil
water * * ------pond liner
***** /
pond liner------- earth

Any ideas?

I have the same design. On one rim of my pond it was worked nicely, and on
the other, I need to do some work. I placed very small (about the size of
your hand) pieces of slate on the liner, and then back filed on top of that.
I then tossed sod down on top of that. The sod has now taken root, and is
over growing into the pond. The rock is hidden, and keeps the water from
wicking as fast. I still have some loss, but nothing I am worried about.

BV.