Old 04-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Trish Brown

Default what eats my rock orchids?

Richard Wright wrote:

Something eats the stems of my rock orchids (Dendrobium speciosum) in
my Sydney garden.

What happens is that the outer sheath of the flowering stem is eaten
off, so the whole flowering spray withers.

I have never caught anything at it, but I suspect snails or slugs.

My neighbour never gets the problem. I get it every year.

Any suggestions about the culprit?

I've caught snails and slugs doing exactly that to my D.speciosum! I hate laying
snail bait because of the Blue Tongues, but can only suggest you make some kind
of netting cover for the flower spikes to protect them, at least until the buds
open. I've often wondered whether you could place the pot on a brick or
something in a container of vinegar - *surely* that would deter snails and
slugs...?

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia