Old 04-09-2003, 02:03 AM
briancady413

Default Calling all Permaculture Designers: Opportunity to create the world's first totally 'Permacultu

the Pitcairner's religion - SDA - prohibits the
consumption of many types of seafood (in Seventh Day Adventist
communities, only finfish are consumed, due to religious prohibitions
on the consumption of anything without fins and scales; so effective
a conservation measure has this prohibition been, that there is great
abundance of invertebrates, especially crustaceans and holothurians
around the Pitcairn Islands) there would probably be some scope for
limited commercial harvesting within the 200 nautical-mile exclusive
economic zone surrounding the Pitcairn Islands (Pitcairn, Henderson,
Ducie, Oeno & Sandy).

One needn't eat a thing to sell it.

I imagine any deal struck with the Japanese would need to be in accord
with:....[snip]

I mentioned Japanese salmon fishing only as an example of anadromous
seafood 'ranching'.

There are machines which use waves to pump water through
reverse osmosis filters, to get fresh from salt, and windmills might
help with this and power in general. I've heard of work on a wind
machine design that would pump air with a very simple structure, so it
would be economical, reliable and easy to fix.

There is no subterranean aquifer or spring water on the Island.
Potable water has to be harvested from rainfall. Huge scope here for a
technological fix.

I think the wave units are ready to ship.

Brian Cady