Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 AM
J. Lane

Default Clay Soil Delivered

Boy oh boy are you going to have fun now! What did you do? Just phone
someone and ask for the soil without checking to see what you were going to
get?
OK. Quick check on the soil. Go out and grab a handfull. Dampen it and
squeeze it. If you can form a long skinny "rope" out of it and it doesn't
fall apart, chances are you have clay. You will have to add sand and manure
or anything organic( compost, peat moss mixes, whatever) to ammend the soil.
And it's going to take money and work to do it...well certainly the work if
you can find the manure, compost or sand for free. Next time go out and look
at the stuff before you buy!
--
Jayel
"Dunzley" wrote in message
Hi All,
I just paid $135.00 for delivery of 5 yds of soil. Looks very red and I
believe it is probably clay (not what I thought I was buying). Anyway,

now
that it is delivered, it there anything (besides compost which I don't

have
access to) that I can add to the soil before spreading it?. I wanted to

use it
to fill in depressions in the lawn and to top dress my very thin existing

lawn
and then overseed. Any suggestions for easy spreading? The soil was

delivered
with large clods (clumps) throughout. Thanks for any suggestions.
Regards,
Donna