Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Doris

Default Your best and worst rose?

My worst rose is also my best in some ways.

The White Rose Catalog describes it thusly:
Summer Sunset, Hybrid Tea
Luminous orange hues of this elegant rose resemble a summer sunset. Dark green
foliage. The best orange rose ever.

Only if your idea of best is Walmart. The colour is gaudy dayglo orange that
looks as if it's painted on. Ugly bugly. Non-existant scenty.

On the plus side, one stem produces a bouquet. The elongated buds are nicely
shaped, the stems are almost thornless, and perfect for cutting, and it's
extremely disease resistant. Always the last to get powdery mildew and such.
This is the one that the bugs are the least interested in. Looks better in a
vase than in the garden.

Go figure.

Doris

CAROL HUTCHINNGS wrote:

The best one I have is Gertrude Jekyll. It flowers well, doesn't have
disease problems, and always looks good.
I don't have any bad ones at the moment!!!
Carol
elfa wrote in message
This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose. The

one
that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle. The

one
that you would recommend in good conscience to a first timer who didn't

care
about color but just wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby'

it.

Mine is Brandy...rock solid since last summer when I planted it. No

fungus or
insects problems. Consistantly produces blooms.

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money

back. The
embarassment to your rose garden.

Mine is Sterling Silver. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Gets

the
same treatment as all the rest and has yet to produce any blooms this

summer.
It just sits there like a bump on a log. I wish I could get back the $20

it
cost.

thanks

elfa