Old 04-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Laurel Trees

The message
from (Mike Lyle) contains these words:
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
[...]
At my old school there was a dual-purpose row of quinces. Real
quinces, not
japonicas. The teachers used them as a source of sticks for caning
purposes
and we used them for the fruit, which we surreptitiously fermented into a
potable, if sour, alcoholic drink.

Our housemasters beamed benignly when we made ginger beer: as you've
guessed, they weren't biology masters!

I don't think they ever knew about mine - I was making dandelion wine
and parsnip wine when I was ten.

We used to roll cherry leaves into cigars and have dissolute nights
camping out on the lawn in the summer, smoking vile weeds, drinking fine
wines and munching on ransoms bulbs.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to