Old 04-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Has anyone used "keyhole" beds?

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:35:51 -0400, "Mike Davis"
wrote:

Take a look he http://www.permacult.com.au/noosa/keyhole_garden.html

It provides a very high-level overview.

Very high-level, indeed. The expanded view of the 'diagram' shows
circular shapes and blobs that could be trees, bushes, paths, plants
-- who knows?

I note "· Circular shape gives maximum internal area for least
circumference." Say, what?

"· Discourages straight row planting=reduction in pests." I guess I'm
not keeping up with research. Had no idea that planting in rows
attracted more pests than planting in circles or spirals or animal
shapes.

"· Increases edge effect. A natural accumulation point for mulch &
nutrients." Another new fact(oid).

I can certainly see how it could be *pretty*. If one has a circular
space to grow in, there's no reason things couldn't be arranged to fit
the area with a radial rather than parallel layout. Maybe *that's* the
(unstated) basis of the plan -- if one has a confined area rather than
a big rectangular plot in the middle of a field, a circular/radial
layout may be a good idea. And many may not have considered the
possibility. A circular arrangement in a square space, however, will
exclude approx. 22% of the area available.