Old 04-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Default new thread alan titchmarsh subject

"Mich" wrote in message ...
"keith" wrote in message
There are all of
these theories why they have these less experienced & younger/better

looking
presenters,maybe its to try & get a younger audience interested,I am 29 &
like the presenters!And lets face it if the young ones of today don't get
involved were will our gardens end up!

Gardens will end up exactly as they are now.

If your hypothesis is correct , then the BBC should take note of the
following ( based on research!) "Young" people are generally NOT attracted
by gardening. It is not a pursuit one becomes interested in until one is
older and more settled .

[...]

After all, how many 20-to-25-year-olds *have* a house with a garden?

Therefore putting "young" role models on TV is unlikely to have much effect
on the young generation.
However, I would suggest it can and does irritate and alianate people like
me.
I dont want to see the pretty young things ( I can watch that on pop idol!).
I want to see experience.

I dont want trendy. I want good advice.

What he said! Right on, brother!

[...]
In those days all gardening was about large gardens. I coveted one of these
gardens as my passion and age grewg

[...]

I used to have one of the sillier RHS publications, a booklet called
*The Small Garden*: it defined a "small garden" as, IIRC, about half
an acre!

I find the RHS, international authority though it may be, has a slight
weak spot when it comes to books: the stuff in there is usually good,
but they don't seem to be very rational about indexing and other
reader-friendly things, and they have a tendency to leave things out.
Never believe it if the RHS uses the word "encyclopedia", for example.

Mike.