Old 04-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default .375 acre pond?????

Well, how will this pond fill up? You need about an area of 5 acres of land
draining into a .375 acre pond to keep it full if there isn't a spring. Keep
the sides steeply sloped to cut down on aquatic plants and algae. If ground
water runoff is feeding the pond and the ground water is coming from a farm
where there are animals like horses and cows you'll probably have a
cesspool. The phosphate from the manure will destroy the pond with algae.
You'll need to stay at least 6 feet deep or cattails will over take your
pond. I have cattails growing in 4.5 feet of water. You'll need an area that
is 1-3 feet deep, about 15 feet long and 3 feet wide for the bluegill and
bass to spawn in. You will need shallow areas with water plants to protect
fry. 20% of your pond should have vegetation. Be careful of the plants and
animals you introduce to your put. What is ok in a small koi pond can
overtake and destroy a rec pond.

Sam

"jixxxer" wrote in message
om...
I will diggin out about a .375 acre pond. The reason for the pond is
to use the dirt to build up my land. Now what i will have a pond,what
are some things i should conside?. I know about the soil cond. Is .375
acre, a big enough pond? I wil be using it for astetics purposes and a
fish pond for the kids to fish (bream, catfish, bass). The pond will
probally be aroud 6'deep avg. with a couple of deeper holes. Any info
is greatly apprciated.
Thanks