Old 04-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Beneficial Snails??

"rapdor" wrote in message
I've read quite a lot of bad press about snails in

freshwater tropical
aquariums. Does anyone have anything good to say about

them, and
recommendations?

I have voluntary snails of several varieties, including the
dreaded great pond snail, all brought in on plants. They
were my excuse to buy my first ever loaches and now I have
small loaches in two of my three tanks. I cull some snails
every other day or so (feed the loaches) and keep them in
check that way. But they do reproduce like mad. They don't
seem to hurt the plants and the glass is cleaner than when I
only had otos (which I still have, fat & happy). And snails
can be interesting to watch.

On balance, I like having snails.

And yeah, the loaches get other kinds of food, not just
snails.

Gail