Old 04-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Eric Schreiber

Default Beneficial Snails??

"rapdor" wrote:

I've read quite a lot of bad press about snails in freshwater tropical
aquariums. Does anyone have anything good to say about them, and
recommendations?

I have a heavily planted 20 gallon. Along with the plants came the
inevitable 'pond snails', as well as a ramshorn. I have also
intentionally introduced a lot of Malaysian Trumpet snails, and a
'true' apple snail, Pomacea bridgesii.

All of these snails eat algae, and none of them has damaged any plants
in my tank. In addition, the Malaysians constantly churn through the
gravel, keeping it from developing dead pockets. All of these snails,
then, are beneficial.

In my experience, the only snail that I've had trouble with is another
species of apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata, which was highly
destructive.

--
www.ericschreiber.com