Old 04-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Franz Heymann

Default tree recommendations wanted

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Janet Tweedy wrote:

I am sure someone out there can suggest a suitable tree for our front
garden to replace the cherry which is now about 50 years old and has
succumbed to a virus (brought on by the cable installations down out
road)

The front garden is about 30 foot long and about 40 foot wide (no idea
of metric measurements!) The tree is almost on the boundary west
boundary about 15 foot from the house but has never caused any problems.
We like it because it gives shade in the summer due to the fact that our
front wall faces south.

The cherry is directly over the drains but again no problems. We have
clay and slightly alkaline soil with loads and loads of flint. No doubt
chalk some way down due to us being in the Chiltern area.

Hedges on boundaries are hawthorn and about 8 feet high.

Thought of a multi stemmed jaquemontii but would like a reasonable
height, not the dreaded Robinia (false looking thing)

Why not.. Its very easily prunable to keep it to a good shape.. Someone
up the road has one and its responded beautifully to pruning.

Suggest

Hiller colour Dictionary for ideas.
And also the Lappen catalogue. www.lappen.de for a copy.
How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk They are in Wales so
would be able to advise as to hardiness.
Beautiful feather foiliage, lovely flowers.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

I seem to remember one of the Snakebark Maple's makes a VERY attractive
small tree as well.

I have a snakebark maple. It is very attractive in winter when the bark
shows up well, but it is less impressive in summer when it is in full leaf.

Franz