Old 04-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Franz Heymann

Default tomatoes

wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:52:17 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"Andy Spragg" wrote in message
~ "Franz Heymann" pushed briefly to
~ the front of the queue on Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:24:37 +0000 (UTC), and
~ nailed this to the shed door:
~
~ ^ "Phil & Diane Martin" wrote in message
~ ^ ...
~
~ ^ Help,,,,,,,,,,,,to many tomatoes,,,,,,,,,freezer full of tomato
~ ^ soup,,,,,,,neighbours sick of tomatoes,,,,,,,,,,,,no more
~ ^ chutney!!!!!!!!!!
~ ^ any suggestions
~ ^
~ ^ Start a compost bin.
~ ^ Amateur vegetable growers frequently suffer from overproduction
~
~ Ah. Any /professional/ tips on how I might avoid this error in future?
~(1) Invest in a neighbour who overproduces chronically, thas saving you
~from following suit
~(2) Buy your vegetables. It is much cheaper that way, if you do a full
~cost-benefit analysis.
~
'tis maybe so, *but* if you add in the cost of a gym membership to get
all the exercise you would otherwise get digging and maintaining a veg
plot, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to grow your own!!!

You have a point.

Plus you always know what's gone into homegrown veg... and they really
do taste better.

:-)

With all respect to my neighbour, whose tomatoes, cabbages and broccoli are
always welcome, they taste no better than the organically grown veggies we
buy.

Half-wish I had a glut of tomatoes - but then that's why I grow 'em in
hanging baskets... never get too many.

Hey, I might consider growing one or two in a 2 ft 6 in pot housing a
Banksia rose against a South wall. What variety do you grow like that?
Whose seed do you use?
When and where do you start the seeds off?

Franz